Sunday, July 31, 2011

Relax

“I have always loved the beach. The smell of the salty water, the wind in my face, the gentle roar of the waves all combine to create a sense of peace and calm.” - Anonymous

This painting is 12" x 9" oil on hardboard. Please call me, email me, or click here if you'd like to buy this painting.

I had a lot of people ask me about my painting technique yesterday at the Lititz Art Show. I've written about the process before, but I thought I'd share it with you again, with this most recent painting depicting a hotel in Rehoboth Beach, DE.  I follow the two steps depicted in the pictures each time I paint, even though there is no magical formula.



I let the orange wash dry before I start sketching in charcoal.  I find it best to keep my drawing loose at this stage.


After I sketch it out, I do a quick underpainting using a mix of burnt sienna, Prussian blue & turpentine that I mix to a watercolor-like consistency. This allows me to really map out the shadows before I start and provides a solid framework for the painting.

No comments: